Maybe it’s just me, but when my jam comes on while I’m running, I have to mentally stop myself from sprinting for the next three minutes and whatever seconds. It’s bad because if I’m not careful, I’ll ruin myself for the rest of the run because I get too pumped. I love running to music, and sometimes it’s the difference between a flop of a run (like when I try to listen to a podcast instead… talk about 10 minute miles…) and a run where I feel like an epic warrior princess with each passing stride. Music helps me stop stalling and get out there and run the run that will prepare me for (what I hope will be) my Boston qualifying run this summer. Music and me is like peas and carrots, to quote one of my favorite movies.
Here are the songs that get my run going.
If I’m aching or feeling crappy or just downright not into my run for the day, I put on one of these songs, crank up the volume, and channel my inner running superpowers. This is my personal list, but here are a few other websites with solid playlists as well.
1. Left Hand Free by alt-J (2014)
2. Everlasting Light by The Black Keys (2010)
3. Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes (2016)
4. Royals by Lorde (2013)
5. Radioactive by Imagine Dragons (2012)
6. Roar by Katy Perry (2013)
7. Lose Yourself by Eminem (2002)
8. Same Old Love by Selena Gomez (2015)
9. Diet Mountain Dew by Lana Del Rey (2012)
10. Close to You by Calvin Harris (2012)
11. Bad Blood by Taylor Swift ft. Kendrick Lamar (2014)
This has been an interesting experiment for me because I’ve realized… goodness gracious! All my favorite music comes from a really narrow time frame. I seem to be a 2010 to 2015 type of gal. I would love to broaden my music horizons, so please comment your favorite tunes in the comments section below. Subscribe for more running tips, stories, and commiseration!